Anxiety has become one of the most prevalent mental health issues that have affected around 7.3% of the world population.
The term ‘anxiety’ is used to refer to various disorders such as general anxiety, social anxiety, and certain phobias that affect the normal life of an individual. It is usually characterized by feelings of depression, worry, and nervousness in daily life.
Most people seek medical attention to treat this condition. However, there are many effective ways to cope with anxiety without knocking at the doctor’s door. You can indulge in regular exercise and meditation to fight against different anxiety issues.
Moreover, many foods support brain function and lower the symptoms of anxiety due to their brain-boosting properties.
Given below are some of the foods backed by scientific evidence to reduce anxiety symptoms. Let’s find out which foods fall under this category.
- Salmon: Salmon is rich in nutrients Vit. D and Omega-3 fatty acids like EPA and DHA. These nutrients regulate neurotransmitters dopamine and serotonin which calms and relaxes your mind. A diet that’s rich in EPA and DHA reduces the effects of anxiety. Fatty acids are believed to also reduce inflammation and brain cell dysfunction more common in people with anxiety.
Eating salmon also helps the brain’s ability to adapt to changes that trigger anxiety in most people. There is no evidence needed to support the positive impact of Vit. D to reduce anxiety and depression symptoms. To receive the most benefit, you must eat salmon 2 to 3 times a week.
- Turmeric: Turmeric is a magic spice that contains a compound called curcumin that is known to prevent anxiety disorders and promote brain health. The high antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of curcumin prevent brain cell damage.
A random study conducted on 80 people with diabetes found that consuming nano-curcumin (a smaller form of curcumin) daily for 8 weeks resulted in reduced anxiety symptoms.
Although, more in-depth studies are needed to find the effectiveness of gaining curcumin through turmeric consumption. Still, adding turmeric to your daily meals will definitely provide you with a significant amount of curcumin. You can pair it with black pepper for better results.
- Dark Chocolate: If who doesn’t like Dark chocolate incorporating it into your daily routine may help to fight against anxiety issues. It contains flavonol (epicatechin and catechin) that has antioxidant properties. Eating dark chocolate boosts brain functions and the flavonols present in it increase blood flow to the brain.
The positive impact of dark chocolate on your brain allows you to better handle stressful situations that cause anxiety.
A cross-sectional study revealed that people who consume dark chocolate showed significantly lower depression symptoms compared to those who seldom ate it. There is a need for more investigative research to be conducted to find out the effects of dark chocolate. You must consume dark chocolate in moderate amounts as it is high in calories.
- Yogurt: Some types of yogurt contain probiotics or healthy bacteria that are responsible for the upliftment of your mental health. Ongoing research on probiotics suggests that they may support the gut-brain axis. A healthy gut is associated with better mental health.
Probiotic foods like yogurt reduce inflammation and increase the production of serotonin. Serotonin helps to improve mood and thus promotes mental health.
According to one study, the consumption of probiotic yogurt is linked to reduced anxiety and stress, and improved quality of life for women going through the post-menopausal phase. To get the most benefit from yogurt, carefully choose the one with probiotic ingredients.
- Almonds: Almonds are power packed with vital nutrients including vitamin E and healthy fats. The nutrients that they contain are known to boost brain function and reduce oxidative stress and inflammation that develops anxiety.
Several studies were conducted to conclude that the consumption of Almonds decreases symptoms of depression. Still, many more studies are needed to find out the relationship between almonds and improved anxiety.
Anxiety is a very complex issue that needs to be addressed immediately by the affected individual. Foods also play an important role in coping with anxiety along with medical attention and therapies.
GULA offers a wide range of Organic Foods to include in your diet while dealing with anxiety. Try our best organic products and make a healthy move toward your future.