Why are Organic Foods Better than Non-organic Foods?
Organic foods have become increasingly popular in the past two decades. And the graph doesn’t seem to slow down as most consumers are changing their food preferences from inorganic to organic.
People have started consuming organic foods as they believe that organic food is healthier and tastier than inorganic food. Others switch to organic staples as they are made without harming the environment and animals.
In this article, we will learn more about organic food and how they are different from inorganic foods.
What is Organic Food?
Organic food refers to foods that are grown on farms or without the use of artificial chemicals or ingredients. To be labeled as organic, a food product must be free from any artificial or chemical additives. These additives include artificial flavors, sweeteners, coloring, and preservatives.
Organic farming improves the overall soil quality and also aims to conserve groundwater. It also prevents environmental pollution. Similarly, crops that are grown organically use natural fertilizers such as manure to enhance plant growth. Also, animals that are taken care of in organic farms are not fed antibiotics or hormones.
The most popular organic foods are fruits, vegetables, dairy products, grains, and meat. You will also find processed organic foods such as sodas, meat substitutes, cookies, etc.
Comparison between Organic and Inorganic Food
Many studies have been conducted to draw comparisons between organic and inorganic food.
- It can be said that organic food has a higher nutritional value than inorganic ones. This is due to the difference in the production and handling procedures of both.
- Organic foods contain higher amounts of antioxidants and micronutrients such as zinc, iron, and vitamin C. Replacing normal fruits, vegetables, and cereals with organic products can provide you with antioxidants in your diet.
- Organic plants do not need chemical fertilizers and pesticides to protect themselves.
- Studies suggest that organic crops have lower levels of nitrate. Higher nitrate levels are often associated with certain types of cancer.
- Studies have also found that organic dairy products are rich in more favorable fatty acids than inorganic products. Organic milk contains less selenium and iodine than inorganic milk. Similarly, it was found that organic meat, unlike regular meat, contains higher levels of omega-3 fatty acids and lower levels of saturated fat.
- Most people prefer to buy organic foods instead of inorganic food as they do not contain any artificial chemicals or antibiotic-resistant bacteria. This improves the quality of organic foods as compared to inorganic products.
Are Organic Foods Actually Healthy?
Although, there is no strong evidence supporting the fact that organic foods are actually beneficial for your health. Still, studies have been conducted to prove that organic foods provide health benefits.
- Many lab studies conducted suggested that the high antioxidant content present in organic foods protects against cell damage.
- Certain animal studies showed that organic food can induce growth, and reproduction and support the immune system.
- Several observational studies revealed that the consumption of organic products can lower the risk of allergies and eczema in children and infants.
- Research conducted on a large number of women found that there was no difference in the risk of cancer between women who ate organic food and the ones that never did.
More high-quality studies are needed to find out whether organic foods are actually healthy or not.
When making your everyday food choices, consider your dietary needs and then decide which food is better for you. Even highly processed organic products can be low in nutrients and not healthy for you.
Choose GULA Foods to savor the best organic food products.